In the nineteenth century, Arifwala was only a village named as Chak No. 61/EB. Later, it was called Arifwala because of a Sufi Saint, “Arif Baba”, who stayed in the village. His Mazar can be seen in the graveyard near the Railway Station. In 1908, the Deputy Governor “Hurbert” founded new city of Arifwala. In 1987, Arifwala was raised to the status of sub-division and in 1995 it was attached to district Pakpattan.